Insomnia is the most common disease among all people and it may be disabled in the elderly age. Individuals with Insomnia have impaired next day functioning and increased risk of depression which affects their quality of life. People are never aware of certain things regarding this disease so today we are going to discuss about this disease in brief.
It has been observed in 15-20% of the general population in developing
Countries which have chronic insomnia which last over one month occurs in 1- 15%of population.
Main causes of Insomnia
- Psychological problems, Fear, Stress, Emotional Tension , Work problems.
- Psychiatric problems such as clinical depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Psychoactive drugs or stimulants including caffeine cocaine,Ephedrine,amphetamines and Methylphenindate.
- Cardiac: – Ischmenia and Congestive heart failure.
- Endocine: – Hyperthyroid and menopause.
- Neurology: – Stroke, Alzheimer’s disease.
- Pulmonary: – Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease, Astma.
- Gastrointestinal:- Gastrointestinal reflux disease.
- Stressful or life – threatening events.
- Disturbances of the circadian rhythm-shift work .
- Environmental noise or other disturbances bed – partner with snoring problems.
Symptoms of Insomnia
- Symptoms of Insomnia may include the difficulty of falling asleep and not feeling restored by sleep.
- Most often daytime symptoms will bring people to seek medical attention. These day problems caused by insomnia include
- Lack of concentration
- Lack of Memory
Impaired Social Interaction.
Treatment of Insomnia
Cognitive behavioral Therapy
The potent treatment for insomnia is cognitive behavioral therapy should be considered as a first – line intervention for chronic insomnia. Recent Study had shown that cognitive behavioral therapy had a long- term effect of improved sleep – related psychological compare to other medications in chronic insomnia.
Pharmacological treatments for Insomnia
Pharmacological treatments for it involve judicious and intermittent usage of benzodiazepine or non benzodiazepines or non- benzodiazepine hypnotics
The most commonly used class of hypnotics is benzodiazepines such as
Ben zodiazepines cause both psychological and physical dependence and the same memory and cognitive disturbances in addition to sedation.
Sedatives used in the treatment of Insomnia include antidepressants and anthihistaminis long term use of sedative hypnotics contraindicated due to adverse effects that can outweigh benefits, including habituation , dependency and impairment and of daytime psychomotor cognitive performance.
General therapeutic Recommendation for Insomnia include the following
- Practice relaxation techniques before sleep time.
- Avoid large meals,excessive fluid intake and strenuous exercise before bedtime.
- Avoid sleep: – Disturbing substances such as Alcohol, Nicotine and Caffeine before bedtime.
- Avoid reading and watching television
- Establish between bedtime routine.
- Better guidelines for better night’s sleep
To have a good and comfortable sleep we should follow the following steps
- We should have regular bedtimes to wake – up times.
- Develop a bedtime ritual to relax before you go to bed.
- Go to bed only when you are sleepy, sleep as much as possible to feel healthy.
Insomnia may be a dangerous disease which is sometimes unbearable.We should be careful regarding it and try to ne aware of these facts and good sound sleep is a must for everyone.Tension and stress is very bad for our own health we should be conscious in this regard of the disease called Insomnia .