How to Relieve Dry Eye Syndrome?
Many people experience dry eyes. In fact, almost half the population has particularly those who are over 40 years old, pregnant or menopausal women, and those who are going through physical and emotional changes. And although there is no exact cure from dry eyes, it is good news that you can do a number of things to somehow relieve it. Take a look at some short term remedies to lessen the discomforts that this condition brings.
- Increase the servings of fish that you consume in your diet, especially on fishes like cod and salmon. They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that have shown to be very healthy for the eyes. Crab meat is just as a good source. You can also take omega-3 supplements.
- Many people rub their eyes in the belief that this will help in spreading out moisture. However, this will only make the condition worse. Blinking quickly and purposely would be better.
- Consider installing a humidifier in your home. Installing one will ensure that the air around your home is constantly moisturized.
- Drinking alcohol can dehydrate your body and therefore strip your of moisture that would have been very helpful for you eyes. If you must drink alcoholic beverages, make sure that you increase your intake of water to replenish your lost fluids.
- To get instant relief from aching eyes, wet a clean washcloth with warm water and place it over your closed eyes. The moisture can penetrate the eyelids. Make sure that it remains in a constantly warm temperature as it stays on top of your closed eyelids.
- Using tea bags has shown to be effective for many dry eye sufferers. Soak tea bags in warm water, squeeze the excess water out of it and place them on top of your closed eyelids.
- If you are constantly traveling, purchase one of those over the counter eye drops that are labeled “artificial tears”.
- If your eye dryness still continues to persist, talk to your doctor about using a prescription drug that might help you with this problem.
Aside from these quick and easy remedies, it is important that you also ensure that you protect your eyes from possible dryness. Take note of the following pointers.
- Do not use contact lens solution to moisten your eyes. It contains chemicals that can further cause irritation on the delicate membranes of your eyes.
- As much as possible, lessen the amount of time that you spend in front of the computer.
- If you have strained eyes, go to a dark room and place a warm cloth over your closed eyelids. Putting on an eye mask will also be good enough.
- Do not use drops for itchy or red eyes as it can worsen your condition.
- Do not put slices of vegetables over your eyes. Their juice might drip into your eyes and cause some stinging.
If you have been suffering from dry eye syndrome for a very long time, consult with your doctor for the proper tests and diagnosis. This is to rule out an eye or vision disorder or an autoimmune disorder.happy wheels game