No matter how much experience someone has boating, it’s always a good idea to stay up to date on boating tips and safety rules. There maybe someone along for the ride that may not know the rules on the water. Before you head out on the boat, make sure you go over a few simple rules that will keep everyone safe and happy on their boating excursion.
- Make sure you have enough lifejackets. This simple rule to follow is commonly overlooked, maybe you have enough for your family, but a friend is coming now. Stop by the store and pick up a life jacket, its an easy stop and they can be inexpensive.
- Make sure at least two people aboard know how to operate the boat. You may have one person that is going to drive, but always be prepared in case something happens. If something happens to the driver, you don’t want to be stranded and you want to make sure you are able to get help for that person.
- Check the weather before leaving. Make sure you are not sailing out into a storm. Nothing can ruin the day faster than your new, nice boat being tossed around by the weather.
- Make sure everyone who plans on getting into the water knows how to swim. If you are participating in water sports or just stopping for a quick swim, make sure everyone is either wearing life jackets or can swim well enough to tread on their own.
- Make sure someone knows where you are going. You want someone, who is not present on the boat, to know your plans and when you plan on being back. You don’t want anyone worrying about you, and you want to make sure you are able to get help is necessary.
These are a few simple rules that should be followed by everyone on the water. If you have more questions regarding your boat specifically, check with your local boat dealers to find out the best way to practice safety on the water in your boat.