Users Share Songs on Facebook more than 1.5 Billion Times in 6 Weeks.
Sharing Songs on Facebook is more than Sharing Pictures in Facebook.
Now that music apps are on the Open Graph — and appear in the ticker — Facebook users have shared their listening activity more than 1.5 billion times with their friends, says Facebook’s Casey Maloney Rosales Muller in a blog postpublished Tuesday.
“Developers have started to demonstrate that when music is discovered through friends, people listen to more music and a wider variety of artists,” he writes. “Our hypothesis was that integrating with the Open Graph would accelerate music discovery and make it a more valuable part of the Facebook experience, while improving key metrics for our partners.”
Those key metrics indeed improved, with some music developers seeing active users on their services more than double:
- Spotify: Four million people have joined Spotify since Sept. 22. The service became available in the U.S. on July 14.
- MOG: Mog saw a 246% growth Facebook users since f8.
- Rdio: Facebook has increased Rdio’s new user registrations 30-fold.
- Slacker: Available across mobile, TV, auto and web, Slacker saw a more than 11x increase in monthly active users in the month following f8.
- Earbits: This Y Combinator-funded startup experienced a 1,350% increase in the number of users becoming fans of the band they’re listening to.
Facebook anticipates growth for its music partners to continue to increase after it rolls out Timeline to the masses. Only a limited amount of Facebook users have enabled Timeline for the official public launch.
“We’re getting closer to a wider roll-out of Timeline and the Open Graph, and we are looking forward to the mobile and web experiences that are being created across all industries,” Rosales Muller says. “What we’ve seen in music and games on Facebook is just the start, and it all happens through the apps you build.”
To learn more about the Open Graph, which is still in beta, click here.
BONUS: How Spotify’s App Looks on Facebook
happy wheels game